A low carb, high protein dessert, protein fluff is the perfect treat to reach for on your weight loss journey. It’s light and airy, yet incredibly filling and it’s quick to whip up when you feel your sweet tooth hit. Think of it as a combination of ice cream and whipped cream, but totally guilt free. And since it’s so low in calories, you can add your favourite toppings like cocoa nibs, berries and toasted nuts. When you’re craving something sweet, creamy and filling, yet guilt free, these protein fluff recipes are sure to come in handy!
What is ‘Protein Fluff’?
Protein fluff is a low calorie frozen dessert made primarily from protein powder, ice and milk – typically, non-dairy milk – as well as a few other ingredients. It’s a quick and simple treat to make that’s high in protein, but low in carbs and fats, so ideal for those looking for a sweet treat but cautious of their calorie intake.
It’s extremely light and voluminous with a “marshmallowy” consistency and is also referred to as protein ice cream, although it’s not as creamy or dense. And since it’s so low in calories, you can get creative with toppings depending on your nutrition goals. Some popular options? Fresh fruit, nut butter, cereal, nuts, toasted coconut and cocoa nibs.
5 Tips and Hacks for Making Protein Fluff
1. Use a High-Powered Blender or Food Processor
Using an old, worn down blender to make protein fluff isn’t going to give you great results. It will have trouble crushing all the ice and you won’t get the proper consistency protein fluff is known for. Invest in a high quality blender or food processor if you don’t have one. You’ll use it for more than just protein fluff and it will be totally worth it!
2. Or, Use a Hand Mixer
Some protein fluff enthusiasts stray away from using a blender in favour of using handheld blending appliances. You can use a handheld blender to mix your ingredients before switching to a handheld electric mixer. You can also use a blender stand mixer to get a good fluff!
3. Choose the Right, High-Quality Protein Powder
Protein powder is the main ingredient in protein fluff, so you want to be sure to use one that has high quality ingredients. It’s also important that it blends well, or the fluff won’t turn out properly. A whey+casein blend protein powder is ideal for optimal fluffing. Keep in mind that most vegetarian and vegan protein powders won’t fluff, so stay away from fluffing pea protein, brown rice protein and hemp protein unless you add xanthan gum, which can help fluff these powders up.
4. Use the Precise Amount of Milk and Ice
Make sure to follow the precise amount of ingredients stated in your protein fluff recipe, especially when it comes to milk and ice. There needs to be accuracy in the amounts of each ingredient to ensure you get the desired consistency of the protein fluff. You should also make sure to use freshly made ice. If you use frosty ice that’s been in the freezer for a while, it’s not going to crush as well.
5. Eat It Fresh
You’ll want to eat your protein fluff as soon as you make it if you want to enjoy its proper consistency. While you can pop it in the fridge for a couple hours, it won’t be as fluffy as when it’s made, and after a day it tends to crust on top and it will quickly lose its fluff, turning into a smoothie consistency. Eat it fresh for protein fluff you’re sure to love.
25 Protein Fluff Recipes for Weight Loss
1. Strawberry Protein Fluff | Health Beet
2. Healthy Blueberry Protein Fluff | Desserts with Benefits
3. Low FODMAP Berry Protein Fluff | Casa de Sante
4. Black Raspberry Protein Fluff | Inside Kelly’s Kitchen
5. Double Chocolate Protein Fluff | Fit As A Mama Bear
6. Cake Pop Protein Fluff | Emyogifit
7. Protein Pumpkin Pudding Fluff | Recipe Cart
8. Vanilla Protein Fluff with White Beans | Fit Taste Tic
9. Berry Protein Fluff with Almond Milk | Carolina Vallejo
10. Protein Peanut Butter Fluff | Body Building
11. Chocolate Chip Protein Fluff | Dr. Sara Soloman
12. Healthy Guava Protein Fluff | Clean Foods
13. Strawberry Banana Protein Fluff | The Protein Chef
14. Chocolate Protein Fluff | Sprout Living
15. Blueberry Rocky Road Protein Fluff | Mountain Dog Diet
16. Chocolate Cinnamon Protein Fluff | Fleeky Foods
17. Caramel Apple Protein Fluff | Emyogifit
18. Birthday Cake Protein Fluff Bowl | Devotion Nutrition
19. Protein Marshmallow Fluff | Protein Cakery
20. Blueberry Pie Protein Fluff | The Protein Chef
21. Pumpkin Maple Buckwheat Protein Fluff | Lil Bucks
22. Berry Protein Fluff | Optimising Nutrition
23. Low Carb Peanut Berry Protein Fluff | Macro Chef
24. 3-Ingredient Vanilla Protein Fluff | Mugs for Muscles
25. Banana Protein Fluff | Banana’s Inside
With these tips and recipes, protein fluff is about to become your favourite guilt-free treat. Whip it up for a high protein, low calorie dessert you’ll love!